Carcinogenic Potency Database Example of Published Plot
A sample of the plot of the CPDB and description for one
experiment is given below.
Left side of the CPDB plot.
Spe Strain Site Xpo+Xpt TD50 2Tailpvl
Sex Route Hist Notes DR AuOp
        
1401 R m osm gav kid MXA 18m26 : + : 119.mg / P<.0005c
a R m osm gav TBA MXB 18m26 194.mg * P<.5
b R m osm gav liv MXB 18m26 455.mg * P<.08
Right side of the CPDB plot.
RefNum LoConf UpConf Cntrl 1Dose 1Inc 2Dose 2Inc Citation or Pathology
        
1401 TR-A 65.5mg 334.mg 0/20 45.2mg 4/50 90.3mg 12/50 kid:tla,uac.
a TR-A 43.5mg n.s.s. 9/20 45.2mg 24/50 90.3mg 20/50
b TR-A 157.mg n.s.s. 0/20 45.2mg 1/50 90.3mg 3/50 liv:hpa,hpc,nnd.
A unique number is assigned to each experiment in the CPDB plot,
and lowercase letters for subsequent lines identify each TD50 calculated for that experiment. The
number inserted above each field corresponds to the description
- Chloroform is the chemical. The three asterisks indicate that
chloroform results were reported in more than one published plot of
- R: species is rat.
- m: sex is male.
- osm: strain is Osborne-Mendel.
- gav: route of administration is gavage.
- kid: site is kidney.
- MXA: histopathology is a mix of tumor types combined by NCI.
The pathology is indicated on the right side of the plot under
 where the codes are
“kid:tla,uac” indicating a mix of tubular-cell adenoma
and tubular-cell adenocarcinoma. The site and histopathology is
reported in the nomenclature used in the original published paper
or technical report.
- 18m: length of exposure is 18 months.
- 26m: length of experiment is 26 months.
- “Notes” is blank here but is used to describe
particulars such as survival problems or variable dosing
- Logarithmic scale for TD50 and confidence
- The plotted TD50 value with the symbol
“+” indicating that the statistical significance of the
TD50 is p<0.01. The symbol colon indicates the
99% confidence limits for TD50 and shows that
TD50 was calculated with lifetable data.
- 119.mg: value of TD50 in
- Shape of the dose-response curve, determined by the
goodness-of-fit test for departure from linearity. The symbol
“/” indicates significant departure from linearity with
- p<.0005: two-tailed p-value associated with
testing whether the slope of the dose-response curve is different
- c: NCI opinion that chloroform was carcinogenic, inducing the
tumors indicated under  and .
- The right side of the plot lists the experiment number.
- 67-66-3: CAS registry number for chloroform.
- TR-A: unique reference number for a paper or an NCI/NTP
- 65.5mg and 334.mg: lower and upper confidence limits for the
TD50 in milligrams/kilograms/day.
- Proportion of animals with tumors in [6-7] and average daily
dose-rate in milligrams/kilograms/day for the control group and
each dose group. For NCI/NTP the denominator indicates the starting
number of animals, and the numerator indicates the number of
animals with tumors by the end of the experiment.
- Codes for histopathology for NCI/NTP and literature citation
for papers published in the general literature. Lines a and b under
this experiment give results for mandatory sites that are always
included in the database whenever data are available. TBA: all
tumor-bearing animals; and liv: liver.
Return to the Carcinogenic Potency Database
Project (CPDB) Home Page:
Last updated: August 6, 2007
PDF documents are best viewed with the free Adobe® Reader
Excel documents are best viewed with the free Excel® Viewer